Friday, March 12, 2010

A Little Background

Before I get started, I feel a little background information is in order.  I'll spare a lot of the details, as I'm sure many will come out during the course of this blog.  A little about me.  I'm 40 years old and live in Long Island, NY, USA.  I grew up in a small town called Sayville, and except for the 4 years I was away at college, i have always called this area 'home'.  My parents were both teachers, so my summers were spent on Fire Island as I was growing up.  It's not a bad childhood, for the few who can have it.  I've been on the water ever since I can remember.  My father has always had a boat... since I can remember.  He recently published a book Sale Tales that tells his story.
Felicity is a Morgan 30.  My father bought her when I was a teenager, and sailed her for many happy years.  I have lots of amazing memories from that boat.  From almost running into Montauk Lighthouse during the Around Long Island Regatta to having my prom party on board her when I graduated High Scool.  He sold her to upgrade to a Morgan 38 when I was in college.  It was a sad day for me.  I can't say I blame him, it was time.
Four years later, I'm sitting home with my new wife-to-be.  I get a call.  "Matt, Felicity's for sale, I'm driving up [from Virginia] this weekend."
"I'm not buying a boat"
"No, I understand.  I just want to look"
"Dad, I'm not buying a boat"
"I know.  That's fine.  I just want to look"
That weekend, I bought a boat.
It only cost $3,000! (That was my point during the brief argument with my new wife-to-be).  She was actually happy I bought it, but that doesn't make for a funny story.  It needed work.  It had been neglected for three of those 4 years.  Water damage to the interior, etc. The engine worked, but barely.  I had a surveyor take a look at the hull.  It was in excellent condition.  He said I stole the boat and appraised it for $12,000.
Over the next 6 years or so, the boat demanded attention.  During that time, I had gotten married and proceded to procreate.  My 3 boys took much of my time.  I didn't put as much into Felicity as I should have and my attention for her, unfortunately, waned.  The engine started giving me too much agita, so I mothballed her until the time was right.
Five years, a divorce, a new life and a new girlfriend later, the time is right.  These are my tales...

No comments:

Post a Comment