Friday, March 12, 2010

Jim's Interest

So it turns out that Jim, a good friend of mine that I've known since elementary school, has an interest to waste his time helping me rebirth Felicity.  I'm not sure why, but I suspect his motivations have something to do with me mentioning that I'm going to have a continuous flow of cold beer in the cooler.  In any event his help is greatly appreciated.  We were visiting her last week scanning about, and taking stock of what needed to be done.  More a mental list than anything else. At one point I mentioned that I'm not putting her in the water if the engine isn't running.  What's the point.  Yet on the other hand, the interior needs some serious attention also.  With a big sigh I tell him I didn't know where to start. 
Sometimes, it takes an objective set of eyes to see things clearly and motivate you properly.  He said "Look. We need to empty all the crap out, throw away the garbage, and start with a clean, new fresh boat.  That's the only way we'll be able to make progress.  As for the engine [which we discovered is now seized] we can pull it out, put it in my shed, and work on it at our leisure."  He was right.  His shed is located in my backyard as my apartment is his basement.  He doesn't live in the house, though.  He has his own apartment.  That's another long story.  He then asked if he could come down and work on her when I wasn't there.  Stupid question.  He's a schoolteacher, so he gets out of work at 3:30.  I gave him the combination.  I then proceeded to get one of the worst stomach viruses I've ever come into contact with.  I was locked in my apartment for the next 3 days.  I was hoping to get started with my new motivation in mind.  It didn't happen.
This past Tuesday, Jim went to work on her.  He went through all the rotted towels, lifejackets, etc that were there.  Threw a lot of it away.  Anything questionable he put into a berth so we can go through it and bring it to storage "until we need it"  Isn't everything on a boat, whether it be rotting or not, needed?  Apparently not.  There were things in that pile that I didn't even know I had.  Funny how many sailors save old, bent, twisted cotter pins 'just in case', then wonder why they have so much crap.  I'm one of those sailors, I guess.  It's time to admit the problem.  My first step to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment